Bringing iPads into school for a treat – what are parents’ views?

December 14th, 2016

Today I had an interesting conversation with a parent who explained that some parents feel pressured into allowing their children to bring iPads into school for their termly ‘not missing Golden Time’ treat, even though they don’t wish them to do so.

Children are always asked what they would like for their treat and we have held various short sessions over the year, including very popular scooter sessions. Although the children enjoy these sessions and wish to bring electronic devices into school, I am interested to hear parents’ views.

How do you feel about children bringing devices into school for special occasions? Does the option to bring iPads into school cause arguments at home between you and your child? Do you have suggestions for our ‘not missing Golden Time’ end of term treat? Please feel free to comment on this blog to let me know your thoughts!

22 Responses to “Bringing iPads into school for a treat – what are parents’ views?”

1. Kelly Greenwell on December 14, 2016 5:47 pm

I personally think this is a bad idea. iPads are very expensive and I wouldn’t want my children carrying ours around school. I would much prefer them to be interacting with each other and playing games together than everyone absorbed in electronics.

2. Mrs Channing on December 14, 2016 8:51 pm

Thank you for your comments, which I shall share with staff tomorrow.

3. Sarah Weyell on December 14, 2016 6:19 pm

I see both sides being in school and a parent. I think it’s much nicer to see the children playing with other toys and games. We use ipads a lot in school for education. Children also have access to them for fun on wet playtime and as a Golden Time activity if they choose. So they’ve become less of a treat in my opinion.

4. Mrs Channing on December 14, 2016 8:51 pm

Thank you for your response. I’ll share your thoughts with staff.

5. Lucy and Allan jensen on December 14, 2016 6:24 pm

We would not be happy allowing our daughter to bring her pad to school. Purely for accidental damage reasons, we do not think transporting and caring for such an item would be something we could expect a child of this age to do. Accidents happen, and it would be a sad way to finish the school term for Christmas.

6. Mrs Channing on December 14, 2016 8:50 pm

Thank you for taking the time to share your views.

7. Sarah Collingwood on December 14, 2016 6:28 pm

In our house we only have the one iPad as a family iPad so mine don’t take them in as they would both want that option and they just share it at home so it’s not fair to allow Only one to bring one in. I personally would not like our iPad to get accidently broke in school so I choose not to allow them to take it in and they both accept this reasoning. I have no issue with other parents choosing to send iPads in as I guess it’s up to individual parents

8. Mrs Channing on December 14, 2016 8:50 pm

Thank you for your views. I’ll take your thoughts back to staff.

9. Lisa on December 14, 2016 6:42 pm

We think in our house that it would be nice for the children to play old style board games
    Monopoly, card games etc what we used to play as kids.

10. Mrs Channing on December 14, 2016 8:49 pm

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

11. Katherine Reeve on December 14, 2016 7:17 pm

We have also felt pressured to send in an iPad today. Up until today we have resisted, but it is very difficult to say to a child who is being rewarded for good behaviour that they cannot take in the thing they most want to play with. Consequently today, we have given in. Concerns relate to damage, whether accidentally or otherwise, losing it, it being stolen, etc. and the resultant cost of replacing it. This is now a double whammy for this week, as my child has informed me that you are having ‘toy day’ again on Friday and he wants to bring it in again. We would like the children use school resources to play, or bring in board games or something along more traditional lines. Is it possible to have something different for Friday?

12. Mrs Channing on December 14, 2016 8:49 pm

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I shall certainly share your comments with staff.

13. Kathryn on December 14, 2016 9:08 pm

I agree with the other parents, that I would not want my children bringing the iPad into school, and would much rather they were interacting with each other rather than on a iPad.

14. Paul on December 14, 2016 9:13 pm

There are several problems with allowing iPads and tablets to be brought in school:
    They are worth a lot of money and easily broken
    Children carrying them could be subject to bullying and theft. It could be even worse if they carry them openly outside school.
    Many tablets will be used by other members of the family: There may be photographs and emails on the tablet which are private.
    There may be apps, games, images or video on the tablets which are not appropriate for the children to view or play (they may be playing on other children’s’ tablets)
    It causes a lot of upset and stress for us and our child. We don’t want our iPad and private information into the school but we also understand how diifcult it is for our child not to fit in with friends.
    We think it would be much better if tablets and electronic games were excluded from games day.

15. Mrs Channing on December 15, 2016 6:19 am

Thank you for taking the time to share your views.

16. Rachel on December 14, 2016 9:48 pm

I also feel that the children engaging in other group activities/ board games would be more beneficial. Aside from accidental damage I am also concerned that the content on various iPads maybe inappropriate- obviously each family have their own rules and boundaries but can these be monitored during the times they are at school? I would support an alternative.

17. Mrs Channing on December 15, 2016 6:22 am

I am delighted that so many parents have taken the time to respond to my blog. Your views are always important to us. As a result of this exercise, we will be requesting that iPads are not brought into school on Friday.

18. Lydia on December 15, 2016 6:44 am

I’m glad that children won’t be bringing in iPads, it’s not something I want to happen. They are so expensive and contain other members of the family’s information. I think children get enough screen time as it is and it would be nice for them engage other fun activities. I also think it’s great that Roseberry Academy are asking for parents opinions.

19. Mrs Channing on December 15, 2016 8:29 am

Thank you for your feedback!

20. Jeny on December 15, 2016 9:08 am

I’ve not had chance to comment before now but would like to say I welcome the decision not to allow iPads for ‘toy day’. It has been a pressure but I have relented on the past few occasions. My child would tell me that everyone else takes their iPads in to school. I think it is a much better idea to take a toy or game in to school and interact with other children through traditional game play. My child has totally accepted the decision. They are going to
    school today to chat with friends about which toy to take so they can all play together! Thank you!

21. Ana on December 15, 2016 11:59 am

I totally agree with all the comments above I was very glad to get the message this morning, although my child has her own iPad and parental guard is on, good cover on so won’t break.
    But it was nice to see that she decided herself yesterday to take something else.
    And accepted the message well this morning.
    We have loads of crafty things she can bring or board games which involves 2-4 , it would be nice to see kids play traditional games and teach each other and enjoy it together.
    Well done Mrs Chanining.
    And thank you for the blog. It was lovely to read parents views on it.

22. Mrs Channing on December 15, 2016 1:22 pm

Thank you for your positive feedback!

Trackback URI | Comments RSS